Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability.
Utility Equipment Operator II - Truck Driver (Refuse)
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$38,935 - 50,056
- Posted Date:12/29/2017
- Operates a refuse truck for the collection of curbside residential trash, recyclables and yard waste
- Performs skilled work in the operation of heavy motorized equipment
- Responsible for operating any one of the following; dump truck, brush truck, refuse truck, roll-off truck, automated or rear load collection vehicle etc.; loading refuse or other maintenance materials onto truck(s); hauling material to the appropriate processing facility, preparing and maintaining records of work performed; and performing general maintenance on equipment
- Assists with code enforcement, outdoor space maintenance, etc.
- Performs related work as required
Position is considered “essential personnel”; defined as staff who are required to report to their designated work location during weather related or other emergencies, even when town offices are closed or normal operations are suspended
- High school diploma or GED; supplemented by one t0 two years previous experience and/or training involving heavy equipment operation, preferably operating solid waste collection trucks and Public Works maintenance; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Class B CDL with air brakes, with acceptable driving records
- Flagger Certificate within six months of employment
- Forklift Certificate within six months of employment
- Virginia Department of Transportation Flagging certificate and Forklift Operator certificated
- Must be able to obtain, within 1 year, Virginia Department of Transportation Flagging certificate
- Must be able to obtain, within 1 year, Forklift Operator certificate
- Ability to work overtime as required and to participate in special events and after hours emergencies as needed
- Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Town Shop, 1479 Sterling Road