Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability.
Senior Civil Engineer
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$69,764 - 91,999 depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:12/29/2017
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to ensure that the Town’s infrastructure is designed and constructed to the highest possible standards and regulations in order to provide a safe and economical environment for the citizens of the Town, and to ensure that the Town’s mission is addressed through sound engineering. Employees in this classification perform professional and supervisory engineering work. Position is responsible for providing engineering support, design, consultant management, planning, environmental support, fiscal control, inspections, plan/design review, construction management, and engineering administration. Performs related work as required.
- Manages, supervises and implements the delivery of assigned projects, including design or consultant management, land acquisition, cost estimating, preparation of construction bid packages, construction management, coordination of third-party inspections, in-house inspections, and federal and state grant management.
- Supervises engineering staff responsible for capital and other assigned projects, site plan review, private development inspection program, and town’s stormwater permit program.
Initiates, develops, and implements technical engineering policies; provides technical support, advice, and consultation to other Town departments; maintains technical resources to industry standards; recommends revisions or changes to Town codes and ordinances relative to Public Works matters
- Manages, coordinates and supervises the design of civil engineering projects for the town's capital improvement program; prepares preliminary feasibility analysis of projects; prepares budget estimates. Prepares and/or supervises the in-house design of smaller projects
- Develops requests for proposals with selection criteria for consultant services procurement; reviews consultant qualifications for selection process and ranks against selection criteria; prepares questions for and participates in consultant selection panel interviews; provides recommendations for consultant selection; negotiates consultant fees; reviews specific consultant contract scopes of work; maintains consultant database and files; reviews consultant deliverables for technical merit and contract compliance; prepares and negotiates consultant contract change orders
- Manages, and implements Town's Stormwater Management Program in accordance with the town ordinance and with state and federal regulations; administers and enforces the town's erosion and sediment control program as state certified program
- Develops and implements Town environmental policy related to property/site hazardous material, petroleum or other clean-up projects; procures, selects, and manages environmental consultant for underground contamination clean-up/remediation projects; reviews, comments on and/or approves abatement actions submitted by the Town’s consultant; reviews and prepares Town responses to major environmental remediation and restoration initiatives submitted to the Town resulting from environmental catastrophes; inspects consultant clean-up/remediation field operations for contract and regulatory requirements; prepares public statements and responses to citizen inquiries regarding environmental actions; documents clean-up actions for submission to county, state, and federal regulatory agencies. Participates in the Traffic Engineering Improvement Committee
- Administers the bridge inspection program for submission to state authorities in compliance with state and federal regulations
- Manages land acquisition activities necessary for completion of town projects, including appraisal review, plat and deed preparation, and negotiations for land acquisition or easement acquisition
- Supervises and prepares contract and technical documentation for the Town’s civil engineering construction projects; administers multi-million dollar construction contracts; prepare construction bid packages, including development of technical specifications; conducts pre-construction conferences; manages all construction documentation such as submittal review, RFI’s and PCO’s, prepares statements for public releases; responds to citizen complaints and concerns on all civil engineering construction activities in town
- Responsible for financial management and record-keeping of all program and project activities. Responsible for grant applications, and grant program management, both technical and financial
- Administers the operating budget for Engineering Section; procures goods and services; utilizes online procurement system; reviews and approves payment requests from contractors and consultants; prepares cost estimates for major and minor improvements; prepares applications for reimbursements on eligible grants and VDOT highway funding sources
- Performs administrative duties; maintains records of all plan submissions under review and previously approved; maintains records of as-built drawings, drawings and plats of all town infrastructure plans and legal plats; represents the Town as a liaison on engineering and environmental issues with county, state, and utility authorities; procures, manages, and utilizes various technical resources and publications to maintain town engineering standards; documents, prepares responses to, and implements actions resulting from citizen complaints, comments or concerns; ensures town customer service policy standards are maintained at the highest level by all engineering section personnel
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, coaching and mentoring, and completing employee performance appraisals; trains employees in both technical and professional areas
- Directs field inspections of private sector and state/county construction projects for compliance with approved plans and Town standards; prepares inspection reports for key items of construction activity; coordinates inspections with building official; directs the field inspection of town construction projects
- Supervises the review of construction plans and plats; maintains review process to latest industry standards and guidelines; supervises the review of all private developer construction plans and property plats
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, or closely related field; supplemented by six (6) to nine (9) years previous experience and/or training that includes plan review, inspections, engineering design, regulatory requirements, and construction management
- Possession of a license as a Professional Engineer, Virginia
- Certified as a Virginia Erosion & Sediment Control Program Administrator and Virginia Stormwater Management Program Administrator
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving records
- Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, evenings and weekends as required
- Herndon Municipal Center, 777 Lynn Street