Police Officer I
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$53,266 + depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:12/29/2017
- Patrols areas of the town; prevents and discovers commission of crime; apprehends criminals and offenders; enforces traffic laws
- responds to calls for service and complaints from citizens involving accidents, misdemeanors and felonies
- conducts accident and criminal investigation; gathers evidence; interviews suspects and witnesses; writes reports; makes arrests as required; renders credible information as witness in court and other related police duties.
Position is considered “essential personnel”; defined as staff who are required to report to their designated work location during weather related or other emergencies, even when town offices are closed or normal operations are suspended
- Must be a U.S. citizen and 21 years of age at date of appointment; high school diploma or equivalent
- must possess valid Virginia driver’s license with a good record upon hire
- must be able to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing; be of character and reputation to pass extensive background investigation
- Current Virginia law enforcement officer certification preferred
- Bi-lingual in Spanish desirable
Must be willing to sign a condition of employment agreement which precludes smoking on or off duty.
- Varies, 80 hours per two week pay period
- Written examination, initial interview, physical agility test, background investigation, polygraph, psychological evaluation, and oral board. The polygraph will cover the following areas: illegal drug use, undetected crime, and other areas regarding personal history
REAPPLICATION: If not appointed, you are eligible to reapply one year after initial test date.
- Herndon Police Station, 397 Herndon Parkway