Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability.
Accounting Technician II
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$36,000 - $45,000 depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:01/03/2018
- Deadline to Apply:01/26/2018
- Provides excellent customer service. Acts as town receptionist and provides information or referral to citizens. Answers phone calls for tax and water/sewer inquiries or any other information; assists customers in person with questions and information; assists customers with completing forms
- Assists with receiving, receipting and processing payments in person and by mail for taxes, business licenses, and other payments owed the town; processes utility bill remittances; collects money for parking tickets and sets up court dates; accepts and handles cash and checks; counts money and makes change
- Answers phone calls and email requests to set up new water and sewer accounts or close existing accounts; sends information emails to new customers; maintains customer files
- Creates service orders for initiating and stopping water service, rereads, meter repairs, meter replacement or leak checks. Assign work orders to meter reader or repair crew
- Documents, obtains approval and enters water customer account adjustments; notifies customers of high consumption via telephone, email or letter; generates delinquent and cut-off notices; posts meter readings and changes to accounts
- Counts down cash drawer daily; balances and posts daily cash receipts; prepares and makes bank deposits
- Processes all payments in automated cash receipts system; posts cash receipts from daily work to general ledger; posts cash receipts from Golf Course and Parks & Recreation departments
- Receives non-sufficient funds (NSF) checks retuned from the bank, prepares and tracks letters to original payees notifying them of the returned check status, prepares and mails invoices and letters for returned checks
- Classifies, enters and processes business licenses; assists with maintenance of business license files
- Assembles water cycle billing register and cash update binders
- Issues petty cash to employees and prepares petty cash report
- Requisitions supplies for department; looks up purchase order numbers
- Assembles, folds and stuffs various types of billings for mailing including water bills and delinquency notices
- Receives shipments and packages for offices located within the Herndon Municipal Center
- Performs related duties as required.
- High school diploma or GED
- Vocational/technical training in accounting and bookkeeping
- One to two years previous experience and/or training involving customer service, bookkeeping and cashiering
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Valid Driver's license, with acceptable driving records
- Bi-lingual in Spanish strongly preferred
- 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. , Monday - Friday
- Herndon Municipal Center, 777 Lynn Street