Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability.
Senior Accounting Tech
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$45,893 - $70, 000 depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:09/28/2017
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to perform specialized utility billing and accounting work for the Finance Department. This position manages the Utility Billing Customer Service division; is responsible for preparing and maintaining a variety of reports and records; preparing bills and payments; updating and verifying computerized information; and analyzing accounting documents. Performs related work as required.
- Manage the Utility Customer Service division. Establish efficient processes and procedures, monitor staff compliance, plan work assignments and review staff work
- Respond to all customer inquiries from the general public and town employees
- Manage the processing and printing of all customer utility billings and ensure their accuracy
- Determine when delinquent and final notices should be sent and follow up on delinquent accounts to include sending accounts to collections and Virginia debt set-off program
- Prepare final bills, door hangers, delinquent letters and cut-off notices
- Review adjustments to customer accounts and meter exchanges as needed
- Enter data into computerized system, review data for accuracy and make corrections as needed
- Ensure that all water and sewer commodity rates, peak usage rates, recycling fees and quarterly billing charges comply with Town Council adopted rate schedule
- Prepare and maintain a variety of spreadsheets, reports and reconciliations. Prepare general correspondence and keep track of all division records
- Prepare staff performance evaluations
- Performs related duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business strongly preferred
- Customer Services skills with the public preferred Strong Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook skills
- Experience in financial systems conversion strongly desired
- Experience with SunGard NaviLine, Tyler Technologies Munis and Badger Read Center is preferred
- Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. extra hours as required
- Herndon Municipal Center, 777 Lynn Street