Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$53,850 - 71,056 depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:10/04/2017
- Deadline to Apply:10/27/2017
Under general supervision, the Fitness Supervisor will help develop the fitness curriculum, monitor fitness programs and services, and supervise the fitness staff. Additionally, the position is responsible for budgeting, purchasing, customer service, and marketing. Provides a safe and secure environment for patrons in the fitness areas, while offering assistance in proper equipment use; participates in the development and implementation of fitness orientations and assessments; conducts personal and small group fitness instruction, drafts fitness rules and guidelines, and schedules participants, answers customer and staff questions, and suggests proper class placement. Assist with department events and programs.
- Implements and coordinates all aspects for exercise training and fitness facility, personal training, and small and large group land fitness programs; operates and maintains existing programs; researches ideas and creates new programs and makes improvements to existing programs; evaluates programs within budget parameters; organizes information gathered to implement programs
- Conducts daily or more frequent inspections of all fitness equipment to ensure proper working order and provide for user safety. Maintains cleanliness of fitness equipment and rooms
- Markets fitness programs; develops print and web-based marketing materials for all programs. Collaborates with Marketing Specialist on developing and implementing a marketing plan
- Purchases materials for programs within town procurement parameters; researches prices for quotes; documents goods and services and ensures payment; writes specification sheets
- Supervises, coaches, motivates, schedules and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, and discharging; recruits, interviews, and hires personnel; writes job descriptions; orients and conducts individual group and employee staff meetings and training for assigned employees.Compiles and verifies accuracy of bi-weekly timesheets for assigned staff
- Prepares annual budget and quarterly budget reports for assigned programs and services; monitors and prepares individual program budgets, including staffing, equipment and supplies; monitors funds spent and revenue earned; recommends capital improvements
- Performs general administrative tasks, including promptly returning phone calls, responding to e-mail and other correspondence, sorting and filing records, completing memos and forms. Interacts with customers to provide exceptional service, receive complaints, suggestions and questions, provides information and assistance as requested
- Maintains familiarity with and demonstrates knowledge of current best practices in fitness training
- Prepares appropriate and progressive training programs for clients and leads personal and small group training classes.
- Performs related work as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in exercise science, recreation or closely related field
- Two to Tree years’ experience working in a fitness center or personal training setting
- Possession of personal training certification from a nationally accredited organization (ACSM, NSCA, ACE or AFAA), and current CPR and First Aid certifications. If certifications are not current, must be obtained within three months of employment
- Possession of a valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- Superior customer service skills and the demonstrated ability to successfully manage sensitive situations
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, including daily use of Word, Excel, and Outlook, and occasional use of PowerPoint
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated comfort and ability presenting before a group
- 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Herndon Community Center, 814 Ferndale Ave