Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability.
Senior Accounting Technician - Revenue
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$45,893 - 70,000 depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:10/13/2017
Under direction, the purpose of the position is to work closely with the Revenue Supervisor to plan, organize, implement, direct, and manage the activities of the Revenue activity center of the Finance Department. Position is responsible for the effective and efficient billing, collection and auditing of real estate taxes, business license taxes (BPOL), meals taxes, and transient lodging taxes which includes preparation and timely distribution of various tax notices and deadlines. Position is also responsible for assisting with, and at times overseeing, the processing, posting, and updating of all other revenues, including utility bills, parks and recreation, golf course and cemetery daily deposits, various other local taxes, fines, fees, federal, state, and county revenues and grants, and other miscellaneous receipts submitted to the town. Position ensures adherence to sound cash handling practices and timely updating of cash receipts information in the town’s financial software. Position is responsible for assisting with overseeing availability and accurate operations of town’s on-line payment services by coordinating activities with bank and town’s software vendor. Position responsible for assisting with overseeing identification and resolution of tax and fee delinquencies, including coordination with the Town Attorney’s Office, outside collection agencies or other third-party collectors.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the Revenue Supervisor with all town revenue operations to ensure consistency with the Code of Virginia and the Code of the Town of Herndon
- Participates heavily in the Revenue and Utility conversions from Superion HTE to Tyler MUNIS, and becomes a subject-matter-expert in MUNIS revenue functions
- Assists with the conversion and uploading of real estate assessments from Fairfax County into the town’s system, as well as processing periodic updates from Fairfax County to that information. Interfaces with Fairfax County staff as required
- Assists with the preparation of real estate tax notices, business license renewal notices, and new business meals tax information packets
- Assists with the reconciliation of all tax-type general ledger accounts with payment schedules monthly or quarterly and in preparation for the annual external audit
- Interfaces with town customers (citizens, businesses, internal) to explain procedures, listen to disputes, and resolve problem
- Assists with the collection of delinquent receivables in conjunction with the Town Attorney, outside collections agencies, and other third-party collectors
- Prepares all revenue-related journal entries (accruals, allowances, 45-day revenues, etc.)
- Organizes and tracks federal, state, and local grants
- Enters data into computerized system; review data for accuracy; make corrections as needed
- Operates the revenue counter during staff shortages, primary backup for front desk
- Provides assistance to and confers with town employees, customers, auditors, and other town departments
- Performs periodic audits of meals and BPOL taxes (requires familiarity with Virginia BPOL guidelines)
- Formulates recommendations for improvements to business processes, customer service, etc.
- Makes daily bank deposits
- Performs related work as required
- Bachelor’s degree with course work emphasis in accounting, business, or finance
- Two (2) to five (5) years previous experience and/or training involving governmental accounting strongly preferred
- Customer service skills with the public preferred
- Valid Driver's License with acceptable driving records
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Experience with Superion (formerly Sungard) HTE preferred and experience with Tyler MUNIS strongly preferred
- Monday - Friday, 8: 00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Herndon Municipal Center, 777 Lynn street