Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Utility Maintenance Worker I (Grounds)
- Type:Part Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$15.88/hr
- Posted Date:01/09/2019
- Performs a variety of tasks pertaining to maintenance work in the care of town grounds, including operating riding and push lawn mowers, leaf blowers, etc
- Waters grass, flower beds, and other landscape materials
- Mows grass playing fields and building lawns; trims shrubbery and trees; plants flowers; spreads seed and fertilizer
- Assists in tree removal; collects leaves; picks up debris; collects trash from roadside; spreads gravel or stone
- Assists in maintaining and renovating ball fields; assists with park maintenance
- Performs general maintenance work and daily preventive maintenance on trucks, mowers and equipment
- Drives equipment to and from maintenance sites; operates truck in performance of maintenance tasks
- Sets up work zone safely according to standards; flags traffic during road and right-of-way maintenance
- Works overtime as required
- Sets up and breaks down for special events; works at special events as required, including Herndon Festival.
- Performs related work as required
Position is considered “essential personnel”; defined as staff who are required to report to their designated work location during weather related or other emergencies, even when town offices are closed or normal operations are suspended
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record
- Flagger certification within six months of employment
- Virginia Pesticide Applicators Certificate desired
- Irrigation installation and maintenance experience preferred
- MON - FRI, 32 hours per week
- 1479 Sterling Road