Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Community Center Supervisor II
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$46,500 - $60,000 depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:01/31/2019
This position monitors and supervises the use of a community center, ensuring the continuous, smooth implementation of daily activities and events. Herndon Community Center is a 56,000 sq. ft. facility. Position is responsible for recruiting, supervising and evaluating assigned staff; serving as a role model for effective customer service; coordinating with community organizations; promoting and managing the department’s scholarship program; managing the department’s community service program; processing and scheduling rental contracts; conducting special projects and preparing schedules and reports. Provides input to division budget and purchasing needs, and recommendations for procedures, revenue opportunities and promotions/marketing for the facility. This employee exhibits ability to routinely multitask, respond calmly and logically in crisis situations, use sound judgment and provide effective leadership to other community center staff.
- Supervises Community Center activities, monitors gymnasium, lobby fitness rooms, meeting rooms, outdoor field activities; maintains safe environment; enforces policies and procedures; assists patrons in fitness rooms; and ensure security of facility at closing
- Coordinates with community organizations; processing and scheduling rental contracts; and prepares reports, schedules and records
- Oversees and reviews work of assigned staff on shift, including custodians; develops performance plans and evaluates assigned staff according to personnel policy; processes employee concerns and problems; prepares monthly schedules for supervisors and clerks; trains employees; and pursues replacements for absentee staff
- Coordinates, schedules and reports on school-based and court appointed community service volunteers
- Offers recommendations to department leadership regarding marketing opportunities and policy, and/or procedures based on observation and experience
- Prepares reports concerning Community Center activities; maintains program records; contributes to division’s budget development as needed
- Assists front desk staff and custodians when necessary
- Performs related work as required
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, sports management, recreation or closely related field; supplemented by one to two years’ previous experience and/or training involving recreation program administration, recreational/sport/fitness facility supervision, and customer service; Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Familiarity with facility management, proficiency in the Microsoft Suite; Certified Park and Recreation Professional all a plus.
- CPR and First Aid preferred
- Valid driver's license with acceptable driving record
- Tuesday - Saturday, 1:30 - 10:30 p.m. Occasional morning hours; holidays as needed
- Herndon Community Center, 814 Ferndale Ave