Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Utility Maintenance Worker I (Water/Sewer)
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$33,039 - $43,595 depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:03/29/2019
Under direct supervision of the Utility Work Crew Supervisor, the purpose of this position is to perform semi-skilled, manual labor in a variety of construction, repair and maintenance assignments. Position is responsible for assisting with maintaining and repairing water and sewer infrastructure, water services, valves, fire hydrants, water mains, sewer services, manholes, sewer mains and other relevant areas; and supporting other operations/divisions as needed, or in emergency cases, including but not limited to: grounds, streets, buildings and trash collection.
Position is considered “essential personnel”; defined as staff who are required to report to their designated work location during weather related or other emergencies, even when town offices are closed or normal operations are suspended.
- Performs a variety of tasks pertaining to maintenance work in the care of town water distribution system and sanitary sewer conveyance systemMay drive vehicles/equipment to and from job sites; may operate equipment in performance of maintenance duties
- Assists with work zones; setup, flagging and maintenance
- Performs general maintenance work and daily preventative maintenance on trucks, mowers and equipment
- Assists in installing water meters, ground meters, fire hydrants, drinking fountains, new water lines and other water infrastructure components
- Assists in repairing main water line breaks; repairs service lines, repairs fire hydrants; paints fire hydrants and well buildings; backfills around ground meters
- Assists with site maintenance of tanks and sewer stations
- Assists with maintaining the sanitary sewer conveyance system; flushing mains, clearing blockages, and repairing mains and manholes
- Performs other duties as required
- High school diploma or GED required One years’ experience and/or training in sewer or water system maintenance preferred
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable record
- Must be able to obtain confined space and trench safety certifications within six months of employment with the town
- Must be able to obtain both flagger certification and forklift operator license issued by the Virginia Department of Transportation within six months of employment with the town
Duties involve the ability to exert physical effort in heavy work, with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing, but typically also involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and the lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds); may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials (up to 100 pounds).
- Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Town Shop, 1479 Sterling Road