Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Sign and Signal Technician I
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$20 - 24/hr depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:09/06/2019
When you are hired, there is a generous,
$5,000 “take-home” signing bonus
NO LATER THAN CLOSE OF BUSINESS DECEMBER 31, 2019.
The town offers:
• generous paid time off
• regular Monday-Friday schedule
• excellent health, dental and retirement benefits
• certification and training opportunities
• new boots twice a year
• free recreational benefits including gym usage and golf.
- Repairs and maintains town traffic signals, including cleaning, filter replacement, examination for timing adjustments and general upkeep; assists in safety inspections of signal poles and mast arms; inspects pedestrian push buttons for proper operation; assists in identifying and replacing plastic signal lenses; checks junction boxes, replaces missing bolts and identifies broken concrete; paints poles and cabinets as needed; locates utilities
- Replaces impaired signs and posts; assists in preparing and installing temporary signs; assists in removal of non-town posters and other signs
- Assists street crews in the application and maintenance of pavement markings, including layout and installation of temporary pavement markings
- Flags traffic during signal repairs, as needed
- Collects traffic count data; assists in installation and removal of traffic counters as needed
- Assists in installation and removal of concrete, removal of garden debris as needed; assists in snow removal; assists with town events and street cleanup; assists in drainage installation and temporary fence installation
- Takes inventory of supplies, parts and materials and requests requisitions for same
- Performs other duties as required
- High school diploma or GED required
- Supplemented by a minimum of two years’ experience or training involving electronics repair and maintenance, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Flagging certification from Virginia Department of Transportation or the ability to obtain within six months of employment
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable record
- Mon - Fri, 7:00 A.M. - 3:30 P.M.
- Town Shop, 1479 Sterling Rd.