Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Utility Equipment Operator I (Water & Sewer)
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$17 - 22/hr depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:09/16/2019
When you are hired, there is a generous,
$5,000 “take-home” signing bonus
NO LATER THAN CLOSE OF BUSINESS DECEMBER 31, 2019.
The town offers:
• generous paid time off
• regular Monday-Friday schedule
• excellent health, dental and retirement benefits
• certification and training opportunities
• new boots twice a year
• free recreational benefits including gym usage and golf.
- Conducts water and sewer repairs and maintenance; assists in Closed Circuit TV (CCTV) inspections of sewer lines; assists with cleaning sewer mains using a high pressure jetter combo unit; checks for leaks, installs new water meters; pulls water meters for testing; repairs water valves and fire hydrants; installs fire hydrants; repairs town drinking fountains; paints well houses and fire hydrants; installs sewer lines; assists with maintaining town water tanks
- Maintains access to trunk lines and meter stations; repairs and monitors manholes
- Operates and repairs a variety of applicable equipment
- Checks service flapper valves; checks air quality in confined spaces per permit requirements; performs smoke testing; assists other crews with confined space testing
- Assists with marking Miss Utility tickets. Assists with town special events setup and breakdown as neededPerforms snow and ice removal as needed
- Performs other duties as required
- High school diploma or GED required
- Minimum one years’ experience and/or training involving sewer or water system maintenance strongly preferred
- Flagger certification or the ability to obtain within six months of employment
- Trench safety certification or the ability to obtain within six months of employment
- Confined space entry certification or the ability to obtain within six months of employment
- Fork lift certification or the ability to obtain within six months of employment
- Valid commercial driver’s license (Class B) with air brakes, with acceptable record
- Mon - Fri, 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Town Shop, 1481 Sterling Road