Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Utility Equipment Operator II - Truck Driver (Refuse)
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$20 - 25 hr/ depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:09/16/2019
When you are hired, there is a generous,
$5,000 “take-home” signing bonus
NO LATER THAN CLOSE OF BUSINESS DECEMBER 31, 2019
The town offers:
• generous paid time off
• regular Monday-Friday schedule
• excellent health, dental and retirement benefits
• certification and training opportunities
• new boots twice a year
• free recreational benefits including gym usage and golf
- Drives vehicles for the collection of town refuse, recycling and yard waste; loads refuse and other materials into appropriate truck; travels to landfills for disposal; issues violation notices; collects roadside trash; collects special pickups as needed
- Conducts daily maintenance and safety inspections of vehicles and equipment; may perform minor repairs as needed
- Assists with town special events and weather emergency situations
- Follows all town and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) safety requirements
- May assist in training new or temporary personnel in this position
- Performs other duties as required
Position is considered “essential personnel”; defined as staff who are required to report to their designated work location during weather related or other emergencies, even when town offices are closed or normal operations are suspended
- High school diploma or GED supplemented by one to two years’ experience and/or training involving heavy equipment operation required; or a combination of education, training and experience
- Solid waste collection experience strongly preferred
- Must be able to obtain both flagger certification and forklift operator license issued by the Virginia Department of Transportation within six months of employment with the town
- Ability to work overtime as required
- Must report to work in, and wear at all times on the job, safety shoes of an acceptable standard, effective the first scheduled day of work. May not work without safety shoes
- Must carry a town-issued cell phone, if required Valid Class B Commercial driver’s license with air brakes, with acceptable record
- Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Town Shop, 1479 Sterling Road