Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Streets and Right of Way Manager
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$63,393 - 83,650 depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:09/16/2019
When you are hired, there is a generous,
$5,000 “take-home” signing bonus
NO LATER THAN CLOSE OF BUSINESS DECEMBER 31, 2019.
The town offers:
• generous paid time off
• regular Monday-Friday schedule
• excellent health, dental and retirement benefits
• certification and training opportunities
• new boots twice a year
• free recreational benefits including gym usage and golf.
- Inspection of town streets, sidewalks, medians, drainage, traffic control devices and related facilities and equipment for maintenance and repairs
- Oversees and supervises work of outside vendors and contractors. This will include scheduling and planning the town’s current and future year paving and concrete program
- This position will oversee the streets division and will work with the Streets Supervisor to set up a storm sewer management program to ensure sewers are inspected on a recurring basis The division is also responsible for leaf removal, snow removal and all maintenance associated with the streets and sidewalks throughout town
- Assists with plans and arrangements of town special events. This position will supervise the main crews involved with special events and will work closely with other departments regarding planning, scheduling, set up, tear down, etc
- This position will oversee the grounds division and will be responsible for ensuring all town owned property is landscaped and managed appropriately. The grounds division is also responsible for the Town’s parks and maintenance of those fields as well as the ball fields
- This position will manage the traffic division and will be responsible for overseeing the traffic control program. Knowledge of the MUTCD, traffic signs, markings, and signals is highly desirable
- For emergency and significant weather events this position will take the lead and work with the Deputy Director to assign work schedules and manage shift work. Depending upon the storm operating a vehicle or equipment may be required
- Assists in preparation of the department’s annual budget; determine cost effective approaches for division operations
- Follows up with citizen questions, concerns, complaints regarding areas of operation
- Tracks workflow using the town’s online CityWorks Customer Service Management (CRM) program
- This includes assisting in updates to the Town’s Geographic Information System (GIS) regarding locations and attributes of public utilities
Directs and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining; and conducting and completing employee performance evaluations; trains employees in operation and maintenance of equipment, safety and policies/procedures
- Performs other duties as required
- High school diploma or GED required
- Associate or vocational/technical degree with emphasis on engineering and/or mechanical maintenance desired
- Supplemented by a minimum of eight years’ experience in street maintenance and construction fields, and a minimum of five years’ experience with supervisory skills
- Valid Class A commercial driver’s license with acceptable record
- 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 - p.m. Mon - Fri
- Town Shop, 1479 Sterling Road