Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Utility Equipment Operator II (Streets)
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$20 - 24/hr depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:10/03/2019
When you are hired, there is a generous,
$5,000 “take-home” signing bonus
NO LATER THAN CLOSE OF BUSINESS DECEMBER 31, 2019.
The town offers:
• generous paid time off
• regular Monday-Friday schedule
• excellent health, dental and retirement benefits
• certification and training opportunities
• new boots twice a year
• free recreational benefits including gym usage and golf.
- Repairs pot holes, signs, and fences; repairs roads; paints road markings; makes asphalt repairs; spreads gravel and stone; cleans and unclogs catch basins
- Serves as lead worker on job sites; gives instructions and coordinates activities
- Supervise field staff as directed
- Drives sweeper; picks up leaves
- Picks up trash from roadsides; cleans ditches; cleans storm sewersLays pipes
- Perform general maintenance of equipment; service and make minor repairs
- Set up safe work zone according to standards
- Flag traffic during road and right-of-way maintenance
- Lay brick for sidewalk, crosswalks, etc
- Respond as designated emergency service personnel to emergencies related to snow removal and storm clean up, or other designated emergencies
- Assist with special events; including annual Herndon Festival and 4th of July celebration
Position is considered “essential personnel”; defined as staff who are required to report to their designated work location during weather related or other emergencies, even when town offices are closed or normal operations are suspended
- High school diploma or GED
- One to two years previous experience and/or training involving heavy equipment operation and Public Works maintenance; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Class B Commercial driver’s license with air brakes
- Possess or obtain Flagger Certificate within six months of employment
- Possess or obtain Tanker endorsement within one year of employment
- This position shall be required to submit to initial and random drug testing
- 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Town Shop, 1479 Sterling Road