Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$17.00 +/hr, depending on qualifications
- Posted Date:10/17/2019
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to maintain the cemetery grounds of Chestnut Grove Cemetery in accordance with objectives and work plan outlined by the maintenance supervisor. Employees in this classification perform skilled grounds maintenance work. Position is responsible for mowing grounds and trimming around monuments and markers; assisting with marking off burial sites and opening and closing of grave sites; and monument and marker placements. Performs related work as required.
- Mowing grounds and trimming around monuments and markers; performs general clean-up, including flowers, trash and debris; oversees and participates in general landscaping, including pruning, trimming trees and shrubs; spreads seed; mulching flower beds; treatment of grounds
- Operates hand tools, drills and other power tools; operates chipper/shredder; operates dump truck, turf vehicle, front end loader and tractor
- Assists in equipment maintenance; disassembles and assembles mowing equipment and replaces worn or broken parts; performs minor maintenance on tractors and other equipment
- Cleans and maintains town vehicles
- Removes snow and ice from sidewalks
Employees working at the Cemetery may be called upon to perform the following, additional duties:
- Operates, according to safety instructions, a variety of cemetery maintenance equipment used in the preparation and maintenance of the grounds
- Hand waters trees, shrubs, flowers and newly planted grass areas
- Pick up trash, dead and withered flowers, empties trash containers
- Maintains cleanliness of shop area and bathrooms; maintains parking lot
- Trims around tombstones to maintain a pleasant appearance for cemetery visitors
- Digs grave as directed, using heavy equipment to specific standards
- Digs foundations and pours concrete as required
- High school diploma or GED required
- Valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record
- Experience in grounds-keeping a plus.
- Previous work in a cemetery setting preferred
- M - F, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (weekends as needed)
- Chestnut Grove Cemetery, 831 Dranesville Road