Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Utility Maintenance Worker I (Streets)
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$ 20.00/hr
- Posted Date:10/17/2019
Under general direction, the purpose of this position is to perform semi-skilled, manual labor in a variety of construction, repair and maintenance assignments. Employees in this classification are responsible for maintaining town roadways and conducting roadway repairs.
- Performs a variety of maintenance tasks in the care of town roadways and rights-of-way, including operating equipment such as jack hammers, tampers, generators, chain and pipe saws, small riding equipment and a variety of hand tools as directed
- Executes tasks such as, but not limited to pothole patching and roadway repair; concrete and brick repairs to sidewalks, curbs and gutters; asphalt paving; driveway aprons, handicap ramps and crosswalks
- Assists with tree removal; collects fallen leaves, collects debris and trash from roadsides; spreads gravel or stone as needed
- Assists in maintaining and renovating the town storm sewer system to include maintenance of detention ponds; performs general maintenance work on town vehicles and equipment; drives vehicles and equipment to and from maintenance sites as needed
- Sets up work zones according to standards; flags traffic during roadway maintenance and repair as needed
- Sets up and breaks down for town special events; works at special events as required, which may require overtime
- Assists with snow removal as needed, which may require overtime
- Performs other duties as required
Position is considered “essential personnel”; defined as staff who are required to report to their designated work location during weather related or other emergencies, even when town offices are closed or normal operations are suspended.
- High school diploma or GED required Flagger certification
- or the ability to obtain within six months of employment
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable record
- 7: 00 A.M. - 3:30 P.M.
- Town Shop, 1479 Sterling Rd.