Working for the Town of Herndon allows you make a difference in your local community. Together as one team, we plan, build, learn, maintain, keep safe and influence our great town for current and future generations. We offer a work environment with excellent work-life balance, great benefits, community involvement, and the chance to work with smart, dedicated people.
To apply: Click "Apply Now" on the page of the job for which you're interested to complete the electronic application. You will have the option to upload your resume and cover page. For positions with closing dates, applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources by 5 pm of the closing date. Positions are open until filled if no closing date is listed.
The Town of Herndon is an EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, genetic predisposition/carrier status or disability. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$20.00 per hour
- Posted Date:05/11/2020
Under general direction, the purpose of this position is to maintain the cemetery grounds of Chestnut Grove Cemetery, in accordance with objectives and work plans outlined by the maintenance supervisor. Employees in this classification perform skilled grounds maintenance work. Position is responsible for mowing grounds and trimming around monuments and markers; assisting with marking off burial sites; opening and closing of grave sites; and monument and marker placements.
- Mows grounds and trims arounds monuments and markers; performs general clean-up, including flowers, trash and debris; oversees and participates in general landscaping, including watering, pruning, trimming trees and shrubs; spreads seed; mulches flower beds; treats grounds as needed; maintains shop area, bathrooms and parking lot
- Digs graves as directed to specific standards; digs foundations and pours concrete
- Operates hand tools, drills and other power tools; operates chipper/shredder; operates dump truck, turf vehicle, front end loader and tractor
- Assists in equipment maintenance; assembles and disassembles mowing equipment and replaces parts as needed; performs minor maintenance on tractors and other equipment
- Cleans and maintains town vehicles within the Chestnut Grove fleet
- Assists with snow and ice removal as needed; may be expected to report for duty during periods of inclement weather/administrative leave at the discretion of the Cemetery Manager
- Performs other duties as required
Position is considered “essential personnel”; defined as staff who are required to report to their designated work location during weather-related or other emergencies, even when town offices are closed or normal operations are suspended.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Experience in cemetery maintenance strongly preferred
- Experience in grounds-keeping a plus
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable record
- Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (weekends as needed)
- Chestnut Grove Cemetery, 831 Dranesville Rd