The East Spring Street Improvement Project enhances multi-modal service levels along Spring Street and Herndon Parkway at the intersection of those two roads, the approaches to the intersection, and on Spring Street between the intersection and the Fairfax County Parkway overpass. The project is intended to increase vehicular mobility and capacity and improve sidewalk connectivity and safety. It includes a new two-way cycle track along Herndon Parkway which would connect to the W&OD Regional Trail and Sugarland Run Regional Trail. Project highlights include:
- widening of intersection with additional through and turn lanes
- access management improvements
- 2000' length of Herndon Parkway cycle track to connect with Sugarland Run Regional Trail
- high visibility crosswalks
- ADA compliant sidewalks and curb ramps
- new sidewalk on south side of Spring Street to connect with the County sidewalk under the Fairfax County Parkway
- new traffic signals and accessible pedestrian signals
The project cost is estimated at $11.5 million with a construction date scheduled for year 2021. Funding sources include federal Regional Surface Transportation Program (RSTP) funding, VDOT's Smart-Scale program and VDOT’s Revenue Sharing funds to include a 50% local match comprised of town funds and Herndon Metrorail Station Area Management Study (HMSAMS) funding.
This project is currently in the design phase and is being administered by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). To learn more, email email@example.com or call 703-787-7380.
PROJECT DOCUMENTS AND LINKS