Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Please visit the Community Development - COVID-19 Emergency Operations page for temporary changes to departmental operations. 


Most signs displayed within the Town of Herndon require either review board or administrative approval.  This page is designed to assist business owners in understanding the regulations and processes for installing signs in Town. 

Review Board Sign Approvals

Permanent wall, window, and freestanding signage typically requires approval by the Architectural Review Board or the Heritage Preservation Review Board if the business is within the Heritage Preservation District. 

Administrative Sign Approvals

Signs Under a Master Sign Plan and Temporary Signs can receive approval through an administrative process.

The Zoning Ordinance contains the signage regulations governing sign size and location and also lists signs that are exempt from receiving any Town approvals.

For many permanent signs, sign permits issued through the Building Official are also required.  

All sign applications are available on the Forms, Fees, & Guides page.