Collection of trash and yard waste is provided once a week by the town. Please use the trash collection map to determining your collection days.
Trash & Recycling
- Carts must be curbside by 6am on your collection day.
- Face carts forward according to stamped arrow on lid.
- Place carts at least 3 feet apart and away from objects (mailboxes, fences, vehicles, etc.)
- A twelve-foot vertical clearance is necessary for the truck's lifting arm to elevate the cart. Please place the cart away from overhead obstructions.
- Please be advised that all material must fit in the carts so the lid shuts completely. Bags or additional cans not provided by the town will not be collected.
- Authorized carts provided by the town are the only containers serviced by the town for collection.
- Residents must affix property address numbers to each cart (under cart's serial number). Weather resistant numbers must be at least 2 inches high. Number kits can be purchased from local hardware or big box stores.
- Carts are the property of the Town of Herndon and should remain at the address when moving.
Additional carts may be provided by the town for a fee with a completed application.
Cardboard that will not fit in your cart (moving and other large boxes) will be collected on your recycling day. In order for the town to allocate proper staffing and equipment, please contact the Department of Public Works at least 24 hours prior to placing boxes curbside. Email: email@example.com or call (703) 435-6854.
Requirements for brush / yard waste collection remain unchanged.
Automated collection areas
Cart means a container that is compatible with ANSI compliant fully-automated truck arms and semi-automated lifters. The maximum allowable size shall be 96 gallons; the container is rugged with an attached lid and wheels for easier handling. The container has specific handling points for use with automated and semi-automated collection trucks.
Standard Manual (rear loaded) collection areas
Residents need to provide a sufficient number of approved sturdy plastic or metal containers with a lid designed to be emptied directly into a collection vehicle by manual means. Approved refuse containers must be a minimum of 20 gallons, a maximum of 65 gallons with a maximum loaded weight of 50 pounds for solid waste.
Maximum number of containers
Unless pre-approved in writing (property specific), the following shall be the maximum number of carts/containers allowed to be set out for manual collection and single-stream recycling collection (excluding brush/yard waste), per collection. Any additional required collections shall be considered Special Collections, and shall be charged according to the fees in Sec.63-8.
(a) Properties which are part of the automated collection route. Shall have a maximum of two (2) carts collected per collection and shall have a maximum of two (2) single-stream recycling carts collected per collection of single-stream recycling.
(b) Properties which are part of the rear loaded collection route. Shall have a maximum of four (4) containers meeting the requirements listed above and shall have a maximum of five (5) single-stream recycling containers.
Recycling containersUnless a part of the automated program, citizens must purchase their own recycling containers. Containers must be clearly marked "recycle" and may not exceed 65 gallons with a maximum loaded weight of 50 lbs.
Yard Waste - Use of a container and bundling and bagging guidelinesReusable containers may be used for curbside collection of branches, twigs, grass clippings and leaves. Residents should label their containers yard waste. Please note if yard waste debris does not fit in the container bundling and bagging guidelines must be followed.
The town's 2019 Fall Clean-up is scheduled for the week of October 7th - 11th on your trash day only.
During this week (on your trash day) you may place bulky items curbside for collection without incurring a special collection fee. All items must be curbside no later than 6am on your trash day.
Acceptable items for collection during the Fall Clean-up event are as follows:
- Appliances (remove doors), each item may not exceed 100 lbs.
- Furniture & Mattresses, each item may not exceed 100 lbs.
- Plumbing fixtures and auto parts weighing under 50 lbs., maximum two (2) tires per household
- Limited amount of building material (approximately one cubic yard, lengths not to exceed four feet)
Unacceptable Items: Household hazardous waste, rechargeable and non-alkaline batteries, car batteries, computers, televisions, monitors, printers, stereos (e-waste), loose yard debris (follow bundling guidelines). Please refer to the Town of Herndon's Solid Waste Ordinance, Chapter 63, of the Town Code for a complete list of unacceptable items.
Household Hazardous and E-waste is accepted at the Fairfax County West Ox Road Transfer Station.
The town does not collect hazardous waste and electronics. Motor oil and other hazardous waste as well as E-Waste can be taken to Fairfax County's West Ox Road Transfer Station at no charge to Fairfax County residents (please click link for directions and hours).
Recycling is currently collected every Wednesday throughout the town. As of August 5, 2019 all RECYCLING COLLECTION DAYS will change. Containers must be placed at the curb by 6am.
Commingled Recyclables consisting of recyclable glass, aluminum, cans, plastics and paper generally collected from residential recycling. The town contracts with American Disposal Services for material recovery. Please visit American Disposal's website for a complete list of acceptable and non acceptable items for recycling.
Electronic Recycling - Please visit Fairfax County's website for more information on drop off locations.
Recycling Drop Off locations
Herndon Residents are advised to take full advantage of the existing curbside recycling as the town does not maintain a recycling drop off.
The closest Recycling Centers are located at:
- Newly adopted Solid Waste Ordinance, Chapter 63 - Effective July 1, 2019.
The town offers a special collection service to residents for bulky items that do not fit within their refuse containers such as furniture and appliances. A fee of $60.00 (New Rate Effective July 1, 2019) per 3 cubic yard must be paid prior to collection. Items requiring special collection are to be placed at the curb by 6am on the scheduled date. Please complete APPLICATION and Instructions.
Collection of trash and yard waste is provided once a week by the town and is determined by your location north or south of the W&OD bike trail. Recycling is collected on Wednesdays. You may find the Refuse Collection Zone Map helpful in determining your current collection day. As of August 5, 2019, many Trash Collection Days will change to allow for greater efficiency in the collection process. If you are uncertain of your scheduled collection day, please contact the Department of Public Works at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (703) 435-6853.
Containers must be placed at the curb by 6am on your collection day, but no sooner than 24 hours prior to scheduled pickup. Containers should be removed from the curbside within 24 hours after collection.
- Please view our Trash Collection Schedule to determine alternate collection dates for town observed holidays.
- Yard waste is collected once a week on the same day as your scheduled refuse collection day. Yard waste and brush should not be placed at the curb for more than twenty-four (24) hours prior to the scheduled collection day, and must be at the curb by 6am of the scheduled collection day.
Yard Waste and Leaf Collection Schedule