All vehicles, trucks, and motorcycles normally garaged, stored or parked within the Town of Herndon limits for more than 30 days are required to pay a Local Vehicle Registration License fee.
The Town no longer issues windshield decals associated with this fee, and vehicle owners are no longer required to display a decal. Please see below for additional details.
Revenue, Vehicle registration fee
Yes. The town’s vehicle registration fees remain in place, as follows:
Type of Vehicle
4,000 lbs or less
Over 4,000 lbs
Small trailer/boat trailer
5,000 lbs or less
$ 0.00 (prior fee eliminated)
Large trailer/boat trailer
Over 5,000 lbs
$0.00 (prior fee eliminated)
Military (active duty with military ID - sole owner)
$0.00 (prior fee eliminated)
- Yes. Effective immediately, Herndon police officers are no longer ticketing vehicles that do not have town vehicle decals.
• I received a parking ticket for not displaying a town vehicle decal, prior to adoption of this new ordinance. Do I need to pay it?Yes. All parking tickets issued prior to the ordinance’s adoption are required to be paid.
- No. Vehicle decals are no longer available for sale.
• When was the requirement eliminated for all vehicles registered and garaged within the town to display a vehicle decal?At its public hearing on May 10, 2016, the Herndon Town Council adopted an ordinance eliminating the requirement, thereby eliminating the inconvenience to residents who often waited in long lines to purchase their decals. The move also saves the town an estimated $14,000 annually.
- No. Bills may be paid online at www.fairfaxcounty.gov; in person (or by mail) at the Fairfax County Government Center (12000 Government Cenrter Parkway, Suite 223, Fairfax, VA 22035); at certain banks and businesses or through the county’s Smartapp program. The county does have automatic installment payment plans. Further information is available online at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta/pay-car-taxes/; or contact the county at 703-222-8234.
- No. While vehicle decals are no longer required, the town’s vehicle registration fee remains in place.
• Will town residents who qualified for a free vehicle decal under the town’s real estate tax relief program continue to be exempt from the vehicle registration fees?
It will be depend on the person’s qualifications under the county’s tax relief program, as described on the county’s website at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta/tax-relief_home.htm.
- The town has entered into an agreement with Fairfax County whereby the town’s registration fee will be billed to residents via the county’s personal property tax bills, issued annually in August and due by October 5. (For vehicles purchased after July 1, the payment due date is February 15.) Town residents can pay both the county’s personal property tax bill and town’s vehicle registration fee with one payment.
Personal Property Tax
The Town of Herndon does not assess a personal property tax. However, residents of the town are required to file with the County of Fairfax. For additional information contact Fairfax County at (703) 222-8234.