In an effort to slow the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Parks and Recreation Department has taken the following steps:
- The Herndon Community Center is closed through June 10.
- The Tennis Bubble is closed for the season.
- All classes and programs are canceled for the remained of the spring season.
- The Herndon Community Center preschool is canceled for the school year.
- Commanders Swim Team is canceled for the remainder of the season.
- Spring Break camps are canceled.
- Parks in the town are closed. Trails remain open for general use and you are encouraged to abide by the CDC guidelines of social distancing.
To remain in compliance with the CDC guidelines and Governor Northam’s recommendations, we will continually revisit all operations and when necessary, revise the dates above. Preschool parents, passholders, tennis contract players, and registered students will receive an email update if and when any changes in dates are made.
Click here for virtual recreation and adventures compiled for your enjoyment.
Fitness Classes and Tips
The following events are canceled:
- Kids' Trout Fishing Derby
- Ice Breaker 5K Race
- Town Parks and Stream Clean-Up
- Aqua Egg Hunt
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Mayor's Volunteer Appreciation Reception
- Earth/Arbor Day Celebration
- Caboose to Caboose
- Play It Safe & Kids to Parks Day
Pass Extensions, Refunds, and Credits
- HCC Pass holders will receive an extension to their pass.
- Tennis Bubble contract holders will receive refunds.
- Refunds will be issued for canceled special events.
How to Prevent the Spread of Illnesses
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Centers for Disease Control’s Information on Pandemic Preparedness and COVID-19
- For Your Home
- Plan Ahead and Be Ready
- Environmental Cleaning and Disinfectant Recommendations
- Checklist to Get Your House Ready
- If Someone in Your Home is Sick
- Frequently Asked Questions for Individuals and Families
- For Travelers
- For EMS
- For Educational Institutions
- For Businesses
- For Healthcare Providers
- For Healthcare Facilities