BI Inspection Information
- Permit Number
- Contractor Name
- Job Address
- Type of Inspection
- Contact telephone number
General Inspection Rules and Requirements:
- Inspection requests can only be scheduled by the permit holder
- Inspection cancelations must be received no later that 9:00am
- Approved plans shall remain on site at all times
- The inspector will only visit a job site once a day
BI Sign Permits
If the scope of the trade permit work was included in the building permit approved drawings, no plans are needed for your permit.
If the scope of the trade permit work was not included with the building permit drawings, or if this is work being done without a building permit, drawings will need to be submitted. The town requires three copies of detailed drawings and the proper application.
- If you have submittals (that are not revisions) for the plan reviewer once the permit has been issued, please use the submittal form and attach to the documents you are submitting.
- Plan revisions are charged $40.00 per sheet not to exceed $300.00. To submit a permit revision three copies of the revised plan must be submitted with a completed Revision Form. Revisions can take 5-10 business days.
If no plans are required, permits will be ready in approximately one to two business days.
Trade permit work that requires plans will ready in approximately five to ten business days. This does not include time for review required for other departments, revisions or information the inspector requests to complete his approval.
- Sign permits take 5 to 10 business days for approval. This does not include time for review required for other departments, revisions or information the inspector requests to complete his approval. Staff notifies the submitter as soon as the permit has been approved and is ready for pick up.
Prior to applying for a building permit to install a sign you must obtain approval from the Department of Community Development.
Once the sign has been approved by Community Development you will need to submit the required paperwork to the Building Inspections section for installation approval.
- Commercial Sign Permit Application
- Owners affidavit or Current Virginia State Contractors License
- 3 copies of a plan showing how the sign will be attached to the building, or footing details for a free standing sign.
- If the sign is free standing you will need to submit three copies of the plat or sight plan showing the sign location.
- If the sign is electrical you will also need to fill out an electrical permit application and be sure to include any electrical being installed in the drawings.