BI Inspection Information
Inspections must be scheduled the business day before you would like the inspector to visit and between the hours of 8:00am - 4:30pm. Inspections are done during two time blocks: AM= 8:00am-12:00pm and PM= 1:00pm - 4:00pm. The following information is required to schedule an inspections:
- Permit Number
- Contractor Name
- Job Address
- Type of Inspection
- Contact telephone number
General Inspection Rules and Requirements:
- Inspection requests can only be scheduled by the permit holder
- Written permission must be on file with our office to allow general contractors to schedule inspections for their subs
- Inspection cancelations must be received no later that 9:00am
- A reinspection fee of $72 will be due if the schedule inspection does not meet code requirements or for failure to properly cancel your inspection
- Approved plans shall remain on site at all times
- The inspector will only visit a job site once a day
A certificate of occupancy will be issued for commercial work, or a new residential dwelling once the building final has been approved.
After hours inspection can be requested. Inspection requests must be submitted in writing at least three days before the inspection. Requires must include date and time of inspection, location, contact information,onsite representative, and duration of inspection. Please contact our office the day prior to the inspection to confirm time and to obtain the inspectors contract information. After hours inspections are scheduled at a rate of $100 per hour with a four hour minimum.
BI Sign Permits
If the scope of the trade permit work was included in the building permit approved drawings, no plans are needed for your permit.
If the scope of the trade permit work was not included with the building permit drawings, or if this is work being done without a building permit, drawings will need to be submitted. The town requires three copies of detailed drawings and the proper application.
- If you have submittals (that are not revisions) for the plan reviewer once the permit has been issued, please use the submittal form and attach to the documents you are submitting.
- Plan revisions are charged $40.00 per sheet not to exceed $300.00. To submit a permit revision three copies of the revised plan must be submitted with a completed Revision Form. Revisions can take 5-10 business days.
If no plans are required, permits will be ready in approximately one to two business days.
Trade permit work that requires plans will ready in approximately five to ten business days. This does not include time for review required for other departments, revisions or information the inspector requests to complete his approval.
- Sign permits take 5 to 10 business days for approval. This does not include time for review required for other departments, revisions or information the inspector requests to complete his approval. Staff notifies the submitter as soon as the permit has been approved and is ready for pick up.
Prior to applying for a building permit to install a sign you must obtain approval from the Department of Community Development.
Once the sign has been approved by Community Development you will need to submit the required paperwork to the Building Inspections section for installation approval.
- Commercial Sign Permit Application
- Owners affidavit or Current Virginia State Contractors License
- 3 copies of a plan showing how the sign will be attached to the building, or footing details for a free standing sign.
- If the sign is free standing you will need to submit three copies of the plat or sight plan showing the sign location.
- If the sign is electrical you will also need to fill out an electrical permit application and be sure to include any electrical being installed in the drawings.